Springwood Neighbourhood Centre Co-operative Ltd (SNCC) is committed to raising awareness of the rich diversity of our community and to enable inclusion across all our activities and services for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Intersex (LGBTI) people across the Blue Mountains.
SNCC proudly supports International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia (IDAHOT) on May 17th each year (this is the date years ago when the World Health Organisation declared homosexuality was no longer a mental health disorder).
Pink Mountains Youth
Working in partnership with Mountains Youth Services Team (MYST), Pink Mountains Youth will occur monthly at the the Katoomba Youth Centre on Waratah Street on the last Tuesday night of each month.
On the second Tuesday of each month, from 7pm til 9pm, it will be held at Springwood Youth Centre 59 Springwood Avenue, Springwood.
Rainbow Coffee Club for Lawson and Lithgow
The Rainbow Coffee Club at Lawson is held from 10am to 12pm on the first Tuesday of each month at the MCRN Meeting Room, Mountains Community Resource Centre, cnr San Jose Avenue & Loftus Street, Lawson (same building as Lawson Library). Gold coin donation requested to help cover costs of tea, coffee and refreshments. For more information, call Kevin on (02) 4759 1791.
The Community Visitors Scheme (CVS) is a program that aims to enrich the lives of diverse people living in aged care homes, or who are living at home in receipt of a home care package. CVS breaks down social isolation and builds community engagement through one on one visiting and friendship for older people who would otherwise experience loneliness. For more information, please contact Joanne Newton on 4751 3033
– The Dementia Carer’s Support Group is an all inclusive support group who are carer’s of loved ones with Dementia.
– Pink Mountains is dedicated to connecting the Blue Mountains LGBTI community. They have links to resources, community organisations and businesses, as well up coming events.
– Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) is an organisation dedicated to give help, support and information to families, friends of all gay people. There is a Blue Mountains PFLAG chapter.
– People Living With HIV and AIDS (PLWHA) Blue Mountains have weekly lunches each Wednesday.
- – The Recovery Village is an American website that contains some potentially useful information on the LGBTI community and substance abuse recovery.- The Gender Centre is a organisation in Sydney that is committed to developing and providing services and activities, which enhance the ability of the transgender, gender questioning and gender diverse community to make informed choices.
- – ACON is a New South Wales based health promotion organisation specialising in HIV prevention, HIV support and lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTI) physical and mental health.
The Blue Mountains Regional Business Chamber has moved to recognise the importance of the LGBTIQ community to the local economy, with a brand new initiative involving LQBTIQ business owners and ‘pink-friendly’ businesses. Read more.
|SBS has launched its new LGBTIQ hub. Edited by Drew Sheldrick, the site will draw on content from across SBS TV, radio and online, and will also feature original content. View the new site, or follow it on Facebook and Twitter. Contact Drew at email@example.com|
Article on ‘genderqueer’, being gender inclusive is not about services being ‘warm and fuzzy,’ or even ‘politically correct’ it is enshrined in Anti-Discrimination Law in NSW.
You may also wish to watch this twenty minute film on the Gender Basics.